Community is at the root of Advantage FCU as well as the heart and soul of the credit union. We have been actively involved with the Rochester community and we support many foundations, charities and organizations. Below is a list of activities we support:
We have partnered with Rochester based organizations and developed programs that include financial literacy, furthering education, and “giveback” features.
- Supported a “student-run” credit union branch at Franklin High School supporting up to 15 students each year. (2006-2010)
- Currently supporting a “student-run” credit union branch at East High School (Fall 2010-current) supporting up to 15 students.
- Advantage created a custom VISA debit card for the Rochester Teacher’s Association. This card has a “give-back” feature where Advantage donates a portion of their profits annually to the Peter Castle Scholarship Fund.
- Advantage created a custom VISA debit card for Rochester General Health System. This card has a “give-back” feature where Advantage donates a portion of their profits annually to the RGH’s Youth Apprenticeship Program.
- Advantage created two custom VISA debit cards for Rochester Amerks and Rochester Knighthawks. These cards have a “give-back” feature where Advantage donates a portion of their profits annually to the Rochester Knighthawks-Amerks Charitable Foundation, Inc.
- Advantage created a custom VISA debit card for Highland Hospital. This card has a “give-back” feature where Advantage donates a portion of their profits annually to Friends of Highland Hospital.
- Advantage created a custom VISA debit card for Golisano Children’s Hospital. This card has a “give-back” feature where Advantage donates a portion of their profits annually to the Golisano Children’s Hospital.
- Advantage provided a Teen Smart account which included a subscription to BRASS magazine (paid for by the credit union). 2007-2011
- Advantage provides a Teen Smart account which includes a subscription to Next Step Magazine for all of our Teen Smart Accounts (2012-2013)
- Advantage participates with Junior Achievement to promote financial literacy and provide information to those who may want to pursue a career in banking.
- School of the Arts student, Ben Hopkins, wrote and performed the musical arrangement which was used in AFCU radio commercials.
- Spencerport Senior, Jenelle Pallini, took photographs which have been used for banner images on AFCU’s website (Won national recognition for best credit union web site in 2009).
- AFCU offers 6 academic scholarships annually to student members at $500 each.
- Advantage created a $100,000 Endowment Scholarship over 10 years to RIT students (began 2011).
- Provide an annual scholarship for “Young Apprentice Program” at Rochester General Hospital for Rochester City School District students- School to Work Program (began 2011).
We sponsor many organizations including (but not limited to) Rochester General Hospital Foundation, Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong, Wilmot Cancer
- Charter sponsor of the BRASS magazine program which is used in the classrooms throughout New York State. (since 2002- 2011)
- Regular financial sponsor of the annual gala for the School of the Arts of the Rochester City School District.
- Annual sponsor and drop off destination for Operation Backpack which provides school supplies to Rochester City School District students.
- Sponsored and awarded an “Educational Hero”, in conjunction with the radio station WBEE, to recognize someone in education for their efforts (2004-2010)
- Sponsor and awarded a “Healthcare Hero”, in conjunction with the radio station WBEE, to recognize someone in education for their efforts (2004-2010)
- Sponsor of Terry Clifford (WBEE) Reading in Schools Program (2011-2013)
- Sponsor of “Golden Apple Award” which is presented to Rochester area teachers in their classrooms by Channel 8 news. (2008-current)
- Sponsored the “See my Spirit Soar” program with WARM 101.3 which helps elementary school students with developing positive self-esteem. (2008-2010)
- In 2008, AFCU donated landscaping timbers and gift cards for plants to School #36 in the City. This effort is valuable as these elementary school students are learning about taking pride in their school.
- Sponsor of “Newspapers in Education” program which provides for Democrat and Chronicle delivery to 15 City School District classrooms.
- PENCIL Partner with School #4. This includes the CEO among other AFCU volunteers reading to classes, volunteering at events, Kirby assemblies, Principal For a Day. (2009-Current)
- Sponsored the Spencerport High School Robotics Team for their first competition in 2009-2012
- Sponsored FIVE Wilson Foundation Academy French students at $100 each for a educational trip to Montreal. Donation totaling $500. (2010)
- $1000 Sponsor of the U of R Summer Institute of Catholic Education hosted through the Warner School of Education (2009-2011)
- $1000 Lego League Sponsor hosted at the U of R (2008-2009)
- Sponsored financially and spoke at (approx 35 kids) a Life Skills Football Camp. 2010-2012
- Sponsor American Red Cross Financial Literacy Program
- Sponsor of the University of Rochester bio-diesel bus project
- “Positively Professional” Sponsor of Education and Health Care on WHEC TV 10. (2011)
- Courage Bowl Sponsor (UR/RIT charity football game) 2011
- Gold Sponsor of St. Joseph School Gala 2009-2012
- Sponsor of Rochester Scholarship Leaders (began 2011)
- Sponsor of Next Step U- Penfield High School (2012/2013 school year)
- Sponsor of Junior Achievement Titan of Business – Webster High School
- Co-Sponsor with WHEC TV 8 Student Leader Scholarship Program 2009-2012
- Sponsor of Iron Chef (Latinas Unidas at East High School) 2010-2012
- Sponsor of Teen Book Festival Sponsor 2011-2012
- Sponsor of Incentive to Learn program at School 4
- Sponsor of Make a Wish Foundation Gala for children- 2013
- Sponsor of RGH’s Annuals Founders Society Gala
- Sponsor of Wilmot Cancer Center’s Annual Discovery Ball
- Sponsor of Annual Golisano’s Children’s Hospital Gala
- Sponsor of Annual Highland Hospital Gala
- Sponsor of Annual Highland Hospital Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon
As a company, we encourage any involvement in the Rochester community. We have many employees donate their time to various local organizations.
- Our CEO volunteers on the Spencerport School to Work Advisory Council. He has volunteered on fundraising committees, donated personal funds, presented to classrooms and secured the keynote speaker for the 2007/2008 kickoff of career week.
- Our CEO volunteers on the School Based Planning Committee for School #4.
- Our Relationship Manager volunteers on the Advisory Board of the National Academy Foundation to support education.
- Advantage is a long-time sponsor of the Rochester Education Foundation. Our VP of Marketing and Member Service is currently on Board- January 2010-current.
- Advantage staff members have spoken in school classrooms, churches, Action for Better Community, the Urban League and many other venues to promote financial literacy among children as well as adults.
- Since 2008, Advantage staff members purchase and provided Christmas gifts for more than 100 students at School #4 and School #36 (Rochester City School District) as well as Golisano Children’s Hospital.
- A Credit Union Representative participated in Leadership Rochester Program heading up Social Media Division. (2010-2011).
- A Credit Union Manager serves on the Board of JDRF Rochester.
- Company participation at Rochester’s JDRF walk.
- Company participation at Rochester’s Autism Speaks walk.